Wednesday 17 March 2010

King James I cont...

I have decided to take a step back and look at the project a whole, to take a look at what I have and how it should all fit together and I'm not happy with it. The opening timeline scene at the moment feels very mixed, there it not a consistency within my modleing techniques and texturing. I feel that King James dose not fit with the scene (even though I like my latest character, he needs to go through another remodel. Thats not to say that the first remodel was a waste of time because he is closer to the mark than my first.) I have time to go back to the drawing board to find my true King. When it comes to textureing, I have a combinaion of real world texture (the lantern) and more cartoony textures (the ships) at play. This I one issue that needs attetion. I have spent to long looking at this project in close detail at idividual parts rather than the overall picture. It good that I have realised this soon enough to fix the problem.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Leanne

    This sound like a good call.

    A quick way to do this is make colour, shape, and texture charts away from any models. In 'UP' for example the old guy is made up of squares and dark brown colours / textures that match his attitude (miserable). Whilst his wife (even after death - picture frames etc) is made up of circles and lavender colours (Happy).

    However, you can only make decisions like this after you establish a tonality for the piece. This generally comes from the narrative (and target audience). It seems to me that you need to better answer the following questions:

    1) What is the tonality of the piece - Serious? Dark? Comedy? Light?

    2) Who is this for? What age group and what do they expect to see?

    3) What is the 'Style' rules for the piece. Is it a cartoon? Is it realistic?

    4) What shapes, colours, textures, help represent the characters / backgrounds in your narrative. This colour/shape palette should define each character.

    Out of the two images above the more cartoony (lower) is the most successful. It may be that you take this an push it fully to cartoon for a younger audience. Take a look a 'King Rolo' for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beg your pardon...."King Rollo'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Heather's blog to see an example of a character colour palette.

    ReplyDelete